Thursday, October 1, 2009

Reason for this Blog

I want to be funny. I want you to laugh when you read my thoughts. In the future some of them may tickle that the proverbial funny bone, but not today. Today I explain my reason for taking the plunge into the world of blogging.

On the surface I couldn't be happier, and with good reason. I've tried to celebrate the fact that I have generous and loyal friends who would do anything for me. I've tried to show my appreciation for my brothers and sister, with whom I share a friendship and bond that sadly seems to be missing from many American families these days. I've tried to relish the love and support my parents have given me, the sacrifices they've made for me, and the example they have set for me through their continued love for one another. I've tried to be thankful for the talents I've been blessed with, and the many gifts I have been given - including early success in a job I absolutely love.

And yet for the last few years I have woken up every single day with a deep sadness casting a shadow over my heart that I continue to struggle to articulate.

My sadness stems from the seemingly incurable hatred, suffering, poverty, and pain that I see every single day. Sometimes I don't know what saddens me more; the existence of these evils, my inability to make change on my own, or my inability to accurately express my own sadness that results from these everyday travesties.

I'm not just referring to the genocide in the Sudan, the hostility over nuclear advancement in North Korea and Iran, the continued Palestinian and Israeli conflict, or million+ women and children forced into sexual slavery each year, or the famine that plagues many African nations.

I'm talking about the 300,000+ Massachusetts children under the age of 12 whose parents can't provide them with a warm coat this winter. I'm talking about our country's leaders failing to put the good of our people ahead of the good of their party. I'm talking about the war we are facing here at home. 3 innocent teens were killed in South Chicago gang related violence in the last month - the most recent, 16 year old honor student Derrion Albert, was killed on his way home from school last Thursday.

I'm talking about it. I hope you will talk about it too.

I hope you don't stop at talking. I hope you take action. This is the first step for me, but it's not the last. Come back and share in my personal struggles with society, my philosophies on life, and my ideas on how we can make it better. Hopefully some of it will be fun and make you laugh. Hopefully some of it will be thought provoking. Maybe even a little inspiring? .....that would be cool.

Share your comments and some of your own philosophies. The world is broken, and I'm just naive enough to think I can fix it. Will you help me?

No comments:

Post a Comment