Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Embrace the mysteries of life

Life is full of mysteries. Some are strange. Some are ordinary. Many people try to make sense out of the insensible. Sometimes I find myself wondering whether or not we really want to know all the answers. Do we really want to understand everything? I don't think I do.

These mysteries add excitement to our lives. Sometimes they garner a sense of awe. Why do we harp over understanding the unknown? The truth limits the imagination. Not knowing allows us to dream - to make-believe and to fantasize.

When I was a kid I used to lay awake at night for hours just looking at the stars through my bedroom window - completely captivated by their beauty, and enthralled by their possibilities. When my first close relative died, I comforted myself by imagining those very stars that watched over me at night were loved ones in heaven, shining flashlights on us to light our night sky. Learning that they're really just balls of burning gas didn't add one tenth of the value of what my imagination allowed me to believe was possible.

Everyone's got an opinion, to which their entitled. Here's mine: Too often people agonize over every little detail of life. I say why not just sit back and enjoy some of these gifts of mystery that have been given to us? Embrace the possibilities.

No comments:

Post a Comment